What is the native animal keepers record book?

The native animal keepers' record book is a diary anyone with an animal keeper licence must use to record all the animals they acquire or dispose of. The electronic record book or e-book is the best and preferred way to do this but it can alternatively be done in a paper book by people who do not have access to a computer.



Registered users can login to the e-book to document holdings.


Any licensed animal keeper can register for the e-book. New licensees must wait until the first week of the month after they become licensed to register as all new licensees are loaded onto the e-book system at that time.

If your registration is unsuccessful, the email address you provided to OEH may have lapsed. Email wildlife.licensing@environment.nsw.gov.au with your licence number, name and date of birth to check and update your details.

More information

About the Native Animal Keeper Electronic Record Book

Paper book

Paper native animal record books are available to anyone without computer access. Contact the contact the Wildlife Team to obtain one.

Lodging record books

Each year, between 1 April and 31 May, all licensed animal keepers must lodge their records with OEH. This lets OEH understand the size and scale of the native-animal-keeping hobby and to monitor licensees’ activities to ensure conservation objectives are met.

Failing to keep accurate records is an offence under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016.