What can I do about my neighbours barking dog?

The ‘Dealing with barking dogs' booklet outlines the steps you can take to prevent excessive barking.

Report abuse: If you suspect a dog is being mistreated, report animal cruelty to the RSPCA on 1300 278 3589.

Talk to your neighbour

First, talk to the dog's owner. They may not know their dog is bothering you.


If the barking persists, contact a Community Justice Centre (CJC). These are government-funded independent centres that specialise in settling differences between neighbours. They can arrange mediation between yourself, the dog's owner and a CJC representative to help solve the problem. This process is free and has a high success rate.

Contact your local council

If mediation is unsuccessful and the noise problem persists, contact your local council. They can investigate your complaint and issue a nuisance order or prevention notice.

View list of local councils

Seek a noise abatement order

If you want to take action independently of the council, you can seek a noise abatement order from the local court. There are fees for applying for a noise abatement order.

Local court directory

Information about seeking noise abatement orders