Who can do something about drivers making a lot of noise revving their cars?

A person must not start a vehicle, or drive a vehicle, in a way that makes unnecessary noise. This includes unnecessarily revving a vehicle when it is stationary or repeatedly opening and closing the throttle when the vehicle is in motion.

Report noise from engines revving

The police may issue a penalty notice and three licence demerit points for a breach of this road rule.

Contact the local police station
By phone: 131 444

Off-road revving

If unnecessary revving is occurring off-road, contact the local council. Council may issue a noise abatement direction, noise control notice or prevention notice.

View list of local councils

Noise from motor vehicle exhaust

Report noise from a modified or defective motor vehicle exhaust in NSW to Environment Line at any time.
By phone: 131 555
By email: info@environment.nsw.gov.au
Online: Noisy exhaust reporting form