What can I do if I hear noise from explosions or guns?

The Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation does not cover noise from guns or fireworks. Explosions may happen at mines, quarries, construction and demolition sites, metal recycling facilities or defence facilities.

Gun shots

If you think the noise is from illegal gun activity, contact the local police station.
By phone: 131 444


If you are not in an area exposed to lawful gun use, such as a shooting range, unexplained explosions may be caused by fireworks. Firework use requires a permit. This is controlled by local councils and WorkCover Authority of NSW.

View a list of NSW councils

Contact Workcover.
By phone: 131 050
Online: enquiry form

More information about fireworks licences


If you are bothered by explosions contact the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) or your local council to find out who is responsible for regulating the activity.

Contact the EPA at any time.
By phone: 131 555
By email: info@environment.nsw.gov.au

Defence Force sites

The EPA does not administer Defence Force land but will liaise with the organisation on behalf of NSW residents if a problem occurs.

You can also contact the Department of Defence directly and ask to be transferred to the base nearest where the noise was heard.
By phone: 1300 333 362