What can be done about noise from an idling vehicle?

There are time restrictions on when noise from a motor vehicle on a residential premise (except when entering or leaving the residential premise) may be heard in a habitable room of another residence. The restricted times are 8pm to 8am on weekends and public holidays and 8pm to 7am on weekdays. An offence occurs if the noise continues after a warning has been given by a council or police officer.

Dealing with noise from an idling vehicle

The brochure ‘Dealing with neighbourhood noise’ outlines the steps you can take to prevent noise issues.

Talk to the owner of the vehicle

Try to solve the problem amicably by talking to the person responsible for the noise. They may not realise it is creating a nuisance.

Report to local police or council

Report noise from an idling vehicle to your local council.

View a list of NSW councils

Alternatively, contact the local police station
By phone: 131 444

The council and police can issue a penalty notice of $200 to an individual.


Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2008

Road Rule 291-1, made under the Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Act 1999

Noise from motor vehicle exhaust

Report noise from a modified or defective motor vehicle exhaust in NSW to Environment Line at any time.
By phone: 131 555
By email: info@environment.nsw.gov.au
Online: Noisy exhaust reporting form
Mobile app: Download Report to EPA