What can I do about noise coming from my neighbours air conditioner?

Noise from an air conditioner that can be heard in any habitable rooms of a neighbouring residence must cease during certain times: before 8am or after 10pm on any Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, or before 7am or after 10pm on any other day.

An offence occurs if the noise continues after a warning has been given by a council or police officer.

The brochure ‘Dealing with neighbourhood noise’ outlines the steps you can take to prevent noise issues.

Talk to your neighbour

Try to solve the problem amicably by talking to the owner of the air conditioner. They may not realise it is creating a nuisance or is too loud.


If the problem persists, contact a Community Justice Centre (CJC). These centres specialise in settling differences between neighbours. They can arrange mediation between yourself, the person responsible for the noise issue and a CJC representative to help solve the problem. This process is free and has a high success rate.

Contact your local police or council

If your neighbours are not complying, you can report the noise to the local police or council.

Contact the local police station
By phone: 131 444

View a list of NSW councils

Seek a noise abatement order

If you want to take action independently of the council, you can seek a noise abatement order from the local court. There are fees for applying for a noise abatement order.

Local court directory

Information about seeking noise abatement orders

Noise control legislation

The Protection of the Environment (Noise Control) Regulation 2008 covers neighbourhood noise laws.