Some types of household waste are not suitable for general rubbish collection as they may be hazardous to health or the environment. These include:
- paint and paint-related products (thinners, strippers, varnishes etc)
- household chemicals (solvents, cleaners, turpentine, methylated spirits)
- cooking oils, motor oils, fuels, degreasers
- batteries and car batteries
- pesticides, herbicides and poisons (fungicides, baits, poisons, wood preservatives)
- pool chemicals
- acids and alkalis
- fluorescent globes and tubes
- hobby chemicals
- gas bottles and fire extinguishers
- electronic waste (old computers, DVDs, televisions and cables)
- asbestos and fibro sheeting.
How to dispose of these materials
Household Chemical CleanOut events are held for disposing household quantities of many of these materials except for asbestos, fibro sheeting and electronic waste. They are held at various locations and days throughout NSW.
For more information, contact Environment Line.
By phone: 131 555
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Materials not accepted at CleanOut events
There are special disposal requirements for these types of waste: