Do I need a pesticide licence?

If you use pesticides in your job, you need to be trained and renew your training every five years. Pesticide use includes herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, bactericides, baits, lures and rodenticides (rat poison).

Training is mandatory if you are a farmer, market gardener, flower grower, ground rig operator, parkland or green keeper, landscape gardener, nursery operator, marina operator, wood preservation operator, landlord or use pesticides on behalf of a local council or government agency.

Required training

A range of training courses relevant to your job are available. Initial training is usually a two-day course. Retraining is a one-day refresher course.

View details of pesticide training courses

Pest management technicians and aerial applicators have separate training requirements.


You do not need to be trained if you only use small quantities of household pesticides as part of your business or work.

To be exempt, you must meet all the following conditions:

  • you only apply pesticides that are ordinarily used for the home or garden
  • the pesticides are widely available at retail outlets such as supermarkets
  • you apply the pesticide by hand or by hand-held equipment
  • if you use the pesticides outdoors, you use no more than 5L/5kg of concentrate or 20L/20kg of ready-to-use product
  • if you use the pesticides indoors you use no more than 1L/1kg of concentrate or 5L/5kg of ready-to-use product.