What regulations apply to neighbourhood noise?

The Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2017 includes neighbourhood noise laws.

It restricts loud music and sound systems, excessive noise from garden tools, water heaters, air conditioners, and swimming pool pumps, how long a building alarm may sound and excessive noise from motor vehicles and marine vessels. The times of day specific noises are allowed are outlined in the Dealing With Neighbourhood Noise brochure.


Local police and councils are the agencies primarily responsible for enforcing the requirements. If your neighbours are not complying, you can report the noise to the local authorities. An offence occurs if the noise continues after a warning has been given by a council or police officer.

View a list of NSW councils

Contact the local police station
By phone: 131 444