What regulations apply to noisy construction?

Construction noise

Construction site operators, owner-builders and public authority developments must comply with noise-restriction regulations under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997. Some are regulated by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) (mostly public authority works) and others (local development) by council.

Premises conducting scheduled activities must hold an environment protection licence through which the EPA applies appropriate noise control conditions. Councils can also control noise through conditions determined by them as part of development consent, issued under the planning legislation.

Guidance on acceptable levels of noise from construction activities is provided in the NSW Interim Construction Noise Guideline.


The hours for construction work are specified in the development application. For information about hours for a specific construction project or to lodge a complaint, contact the local council.

View a list of NSW councils

The NSW Interim Construction Noise Guideline includes recommended standard hours. However, they are not mandatory and more or less stringent construction hours may be approved by the local council depending on the situation.

Work type Recommended standard hours of work
Normal construction Monday to Friday 7 am to 6 pm
Saturday 8 am to 1 pm
No work on Sundays or public holidays
Blasting Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm
Saturday 9 am to 1 pm
No blasting on Sundays or public holidays

Noise from home renovations

Noise from power tools and equipment (including electric and battery operated tools) that can be heard in any habitable rooms of a neighbouring residence must cease during certain times: 8 pm to 8 am on Sundays and public holidays, and 8 pm to 7 am on weekdays and Saturdays.

What can I do about my neighbour's noisy home renovations?