Who do I report a pollution event or polluting company to?

If you observe pollution

Note as many details of the incident as possible, including time, date, location, descriptions of the people involved, vehicles and number plates and anything else noticed.

For major pollution incidents

Call 000 to report it immediately to emergency services if the incident presents an immediate threat to human health or property, such as toxic fumes or a large chemical spill. Fire and Rescue NSW, the NSW Police and the NSW Ambulance Service are the first responders, as they are responsible for controlling and containing incidents.

Reporting to the responsible organisation

Non-emergency incidents should be reported to the organisation responsible for regulating pollution from that activity. To find out which organisation is responsible for the incident, please follow the relevant link below:

If you or your company cause pollution

Anyone engaged in the activity resulting in the pollution incident has a duty to report the incident. Whoever occupies land where a pollution incident occurs must also report it. Failure to do so is an offence and carries a fine.

Find out more about the duty to notify

If you hold an environment protection licence

Call the EPA on 131 555.

If you don't hold an environment protection licence

Call your local council.

View a list of NSW councils