What are the requirements for dangerous goods transport in NSW and interstate?

A licence is required when transporting dangerous goods in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500L or weighs over 500kg.

The exception is when intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) with a total capacity of up to 3000L are being transported, as long as they are not filled or emptied while on the vehicle.

Where licensing is required, the vehicle must be covered by a dangerous goods vehicle licence and the driver must hold a dangerous goods driver licence.

Interstate driving

Current dangerous goods driver and vehicle licences issued by any state or territory are recognised throughout Australia. If you hold a current interstate dangerous goods driver's licence, and your vehicle has a current interstate dangerous goods vehicle licence you may drive it anywhere in NSW.

More information

Dangerous goods training and licensing