The Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Advisory Committee (the Committee) is established under sections 27 and 28, and Schedule 9 of the National and Parks Wildlife Act 1974.
The Committee is administered and funded by the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH), Department of Planning and Environment (DPE).
The role of the Committee is to advise the Minister for the Environment/the Minister for Heritage and the Executive of OEH on any matter relating to the identification, assessment and management of Aboriginal cultural heritage in NSW. This includes initiatives such as:
- programs to increase Aboriginal participation in the management of Country in NSW
- monitor and advise OEH on the delivery of the Aboriginal Heritage Conservation Program (AHCP)
- consider and advise the NSW Heritage Council on matters relating to Aboriginal cultural heritage, including the Thematic Listing Program (Aboriginal) for the State Heritage Register
- Aboriginal cultural heritage identification, assessment and protection methodologies and tools
- Aboriginal heritage impact processes
- policies and research relating to Aboriginal cultural heritage and the management of Country in NSW
- communication strategies between OEH and Aboriginal communities on Aboriginal cultural heritage management matters
- review and monitoring of legislation State Plan targets/goals/actions as it relates to Aboriginal cultural heritage.