The Biodiversity Offsets Scheme (BOS) was established under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016.
Under the BOS, applications for development or clearing approvals must set out how impacts on biodiversity will be avoided and minimised. The remaining residual impacts can be offset by the purchase and/or retirement of biodiversity credits or payment to the Biodiversity Conservation Fund.
Landholders can establish Biodiversity Stewardship Agreements on their land to generate biodiversity credits. Selling these credits provides funding to support the long-term management of the biodiversity stewardship site.
Find out more
- Improvements to the Biodiversity Offsets Scheme
- How does the Biodiversity Offsets Scheme work?
- What are biodiversity credits?
- What are offset trading groups?
- About the Biodiversity Credits Supply Fund and Taskforce
- About the Biodiversity Conservation Trust
- Biodiversity Offsets Scheme support
- Biodiversity Offsets Scheme contacts
- The previous BioBanking scheme
- Arrangements for transitioning the previous BioBanking scheme to the BOS