The Biodiversity Assessment Method (BAM) 2017 has been updated with the BAM 2020 which came into force on 22 October 2020. Operational manuals are also being updated to align with the BAM 2020. If the transitional arrangements (Clause 6.31 of the Biodiversity Conservation Regulation 2017) are applied to a proposed development, clearing or biodiversity stewardship site, make sure the original BAM 2017 and operational manuals are applied rather than the BAM 2020.
BAM Operational Manual Stage 1– Biodiversity Assessment
Stage 1 of the Manual is available to support assessors applying the BAM 2017. It provides information to support the implementation of Stage 1 of the BAM (Biodiversity Assessment) and is to be used to assist with quantifying biodiversity values on land that is proposed for:
- development that requires consent under Part 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act)
- an activity that requires approval under Part 5, Division 5.1 of the EP&A Act (where the proponent has opted-in to the Biodiversity Offsets Scheme)
- development that requires approval under Part 5, Division 5.2, of the EP&A Act
- clearing that requires approval under Part 5A of the Local Land Services Act 2013 (LLS Act); or a permit under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Vegetation in Non-Rural Areas) 2017 (Vegetation SEPP)
- biodiversity certification in the case of an application for biodiversity certification under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 (BC Act)
- a biodiversity stewardship site in the case of an application for biodiversity stewardship agreement under the BC Act.
Stage 1 focuses on the operational detail of the assessment of the landscape context, the integrity of native vegetation, habitat suitability for threatened species and identifying prescribed additional biodiversity impacts.