What is Heritage Near Me?
Heritage Near Me is an innovative new program that empowers NSW communities to protect, share and celebrate their local heritage. The program has been developed to address an identified gap in current heritage programming.
The Heritage Near Me team are working closely with local government, industry and communities to ensure that local heritage values have greater recognition.
Heritage Near Me will:
- Partner with the community to broaden and diversify the local heritage of NSW
- Support councils and communities to establish an effective stewardship model for local heritage in NSW
- Return autonomy to communities by providing resources and support for improved local heritage management and decision making.
- Support training, skills and the development of local heritage resources
- Increase opportunities for the activation of local heritage spaces
- Encourage communities to form connections with their local heritage and each other through story sharing
Heritage Near Me Incentives program
The Heritage Near Me Incentives program provides funding opportunities for local heritage items and projects that are not supported under existing heritage programs in NSW. These include the Heritage Activation Grants, Local Heritage Grants and the Heritage Green Energy grants that complement the OEH Energy Saver program.
OEH has also established a dedicated Heritage Near Me Roadshow. The Roadshow works across New South Wales with local government, heritage owners and managers and the broader community to build capacity and support local decision-making in relation to heritage.
For information about NSW Heritage Council grant opportunities for State Heritage Listed items, please visit the Heritage grants page.
Heritage Management System
The Heritage Management System is an information technology project that will transform customers' access, experience and engagement with heritage services and information. It will provide online lodgement and tracking of applications, viewing and interrogating heritage information on a web based interactive map and future proofing our heritage information for future generations.
The project will deliver a single online source for all heritage information and services that is interactive and easy to use. A coordinated and cohesive system will address current limitations with data and help us better manage our heritage information and provide a better experience for customers.