Why do we need a Heritage Management System?
The Office of Environment and Heritage, Heritage Division maintains multiple statutory databases and business information systems to support heritage management in NSW. These systems contain the single most comprehensive record of heritage in NSW and respond to significant demands from customers and staff.
The Heritage Management System is a technology project that will transform customers' access, experience and engagement with heritage services and information. It will bring together a range of legacy databases into the one place online and enable this information to be interrogated spatially on a map.
We will deliver a single online source for all heritage information and services that is interactive and easy to use. A co-ordinated and cohesive system will address current limitations with data and help us better manage our heritage information, and provide a better experience for customers. The system will:
- Improve customers' experience and engagement across heritage services
- Enrich searching and access by spatially enabling heritage information with spatial tools
- Improve quality of advice and time of response by automating services in a workflow structure
- Support local and State government by providing better user experience
- Futureproof our heritage information for future generations by replacing legacy systems.
An upgraded webpage and portal will be developed to provide public and controlled access to heritage services and information in the Heritage Management System. To ensure our Aboriginal heritage remains protected all existing restrictions to information and login access will remain the same.
Heritage Near Me Program
The Heritage Management System is one of four projects funded under the $28 million Heritage Near Me Program that empowers NSW communities to protect, share and celebrate their local heritage.