National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) would like to hear your comments on the Gap Bluff Hospitality (GBH) Review of Environmental Factors (REF) proposal for adaptive reuse of 6 buildings within Gap Bluff, South Head, Camp Cove and Green Point Precinct of Sydney Harbour National Park for:
- functions – Officers Mess and Armoury (Gap Bluff, Watson Bay)
- short stay holiday accommodation – Gap Cottage (Gap Bluff), Green Point Cottage (Green Point), 33 Cliff Street and Constables Cottage (Camp Cove).
The proposal includes revisions by GBH following consideration of comments received and issues raised during public consultation dated 20 August to 10 November 2015.
Why should I comment on the review?
All submissions received during the public exhibition period 8 August to 6 September 2018 will be considered as part of a detailed assessment of the proposal. A REF report will be prepared by the Regional Operations Division of the Office of Environment and Heritage which will recommend whether the proposal can proceed in its current form, whether it can proceed subject to conditions or whether it should not proceed.
The REF report and proposal for lease will be referred to the NPWS Advisory Council to consider and provide comment to the Minister for the Environment and Heritage. The Minister will then consider whether to grant a lease to GBH for its proposal.
It is recommended that you review the following documents and submit your comments based on the new information. Submissions received in relation to previous proposals will not be considered in this assessment process.
What has happened so far?
The NSW Government sought expressions of interest to enhance the public use and presentation of nine existing buildings and locations with Sydney Harbour National Park in October 2013.
In August 2015 the community was invited by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) to comment on a proposal by Gap Bluff Hospitality to reuse 6 buildings in Sydney Harbour National Park at Watsons Bay, Camp Cove and Green Point for functions, short stay holiday accommodation and dining.
The proposal by Gap Bluff Hospitality included a draft Review of Environmental Factors (REF) assessing the impact of its proposal with supporting documentation including a statement of heritage impact, sustainability assessment and specialist consultant reports.
The proposal was on public exhibition from 20 August to 10 November 2015. During the exhibition period, 2 letterbox drops were undertaken and 2 open community meetings were held, as well as several meetings with individual community members and representatives, HMAS Watson and Woollahra Council.
A total of 164 submissions were received. The comments raised concerns including the impact on traffic and parking, the potential noise which could be generated by the proposal, visitor numbers and the potential impacts on public access. A summary of the submissions was provided to GBH to enable issues raised to be considered and provide GBH with the opportunity to examine ways to modify and improve the proposal.
GBH has revised its proposal which is now on public exhibition until 6 September 2018.
How can I get more information about the proposal and review of environmental factors?
The Review of Environmental Factors and supporting documents are available to download:
- Letter from Gap Bluff Hospitality (PDF 85KB)
- Gap Bluff Review of Environmental Factors – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 10.2MB)
- Appendix A Architectural and Landscape Plans – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 39.5MB)
- Appendix B Traffic Impact Assessment and Draft Traffic Management Plan – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 9.9MB)
- Appendix C1 Acoustic Report – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 51.5MB)
- Appendix C2 Construction Noise Assessment – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 1.5MB)
- Appendix D Heritage Impact Statement – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 5MB)
- Appendix E Aboriginal Archaeology Assessment – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 8.5MB)
- Appendix F Access Report – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 825MB)
- Appendix G Building Code of Australia Capability Statement – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 931KB)
- Appendix H Operational Plan of Management – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 822KB)
- Appendix I Construction Management Plan – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 18.6MB)
- Appendix J Ecologically Sustainable Development Report – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 8.7MB)
- Appendix K Waste Management Plan – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 947KB)
- Appendix L Sustainability Assessment – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 1.7MB)
- Appendix M Consistency with Clause 228 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 1.3MB)
- Appendix N Flora and Fauna Impact Assessment – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 11.3MB)
- Appendix O Letter from La Perouse Local Aboriginal Land Council – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 151KB)
- Appendix P Response to Public Submissions Table – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 513KB)
- Appendix Q Response to Flood Letter – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 245KB)
- Appendix R Hazardous Building Materials Report – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 2.8MB)
- Appendix S Preliminary Site Investigation – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 25.2MB)
- Appendix T Proposed Graphics and Signage Plans – Revised Exhibition Draft (PDF 2.8MB)
For further information on the Proposal please contact email@example.com
- Sydney Harbour National Park Plan of Management
- South Head Sydney Harbour National Park Conservation Management Plan
Where can I see a printed copy of the draft plan?
A hard copy is available for viewing at the Office of Environment and Heritage Customer Centre, Level 14, 59-61 Goulburn St, Sydney.
How do I comment on the Gap Bluff Hospitality proposal and review of environmental factors?
Public exhibition of the proposal and REF is from 8 August to 6 September 2018. You are invited to comment on the documents by sending a written submission before 5pm on 6 September 2018.
While all submissions count, they are most effective when we understand your ideas and the outcomes you want for park management. Some suggestions to help you write your submission are:
- Write clearly and be specific about the issues of concern to you.
- Note which part or section of the proposal your comments relate to.
- Give reasoning in support of your points – this helps avoid misinterpretation and makes it easier for us to consider your ideas.
- If you agree or support a particular part or idea in the proposal, please tell us.
- If you disagree, please tell us specifically what you disagree with and why you disagree.
- It is very helpful to suggest solutions or alternatives to managing the issue if you can.
- Your submission, in part or in whole, may be made publicly available on our website. Please tell us if you do not want your submission to be made public.
Your submission will be provided to a number of statutory advisory bodies as outlined above. Your comments on the draft plan may include 'personal information'. OEH complies with the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998, which regulates the collection, storage, quality, use and disclosure of personal information. For details see OEH and your privacy. Information that identifies you may be gathered when you use our website or send us an email.
Should an access application under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 be received that requests access to your submission, your views about release will be sought if you have indicated that you object to it being made public.
Have your say
Public exhibition is from 8 August to 6 September 2018.
You can provide your written submission in any of the following ways:
- Post your written submission to:
Gap Bluff Proposal
1967 PO Box
Hurstville BC NSW 1455
- Email your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make a submission online by using the online form below.