Where drinking water is available
Girrakool picnic area
Wheelchair access: medium
Assistance may be required to access this area
- The picnic area is adjacent to the car park and is a fairly flat, grassy area
- Toilets are accessible
Looking for a place to picnic? Girrakool picnic area is well equipped with free barbecues, picnic tables and plenty of parking and it is conveniently located for those travelling from Sydney or Newcastle, all together making it a great for a family gathering.
The main picnic ground next to the carpark is a large grassy area with plenty of room to kick a ball around with the kids, while a bushland picnic area at the far end of the carpark provides a more rugged bush setting for those who like to get in the thick of it.
You might be lucky enough to share the experience with a wallaby or two, and if you feel like stretching your legs, try the easy Girrakool loop walk that takes you past Aboriginal rock engravings, through forest and past waterfalls. Make sure you take your camera; there are some great photos to be taken.
Activities: walking, picnics and barbecues
shown on park map
Getting there: Girrakool picnic area is located in the northern section of Brisbane Water National Park.
To get there from the F3 Highway:
- Exit Central Coast Highway towards Gosford
- Take the first left onto Wisemans Ferry Road
- Take the first left onto Old Pacific Highway
- Take the first left onto Quarry Road
- The picnic area is through the tunnel and straight ahead
Road access: Sealed road - 2WD vehicles.
Opening hours: The picnic area is:
- Open 10am – 4pm (Monday – Friday)
- Open 8am – 5.30pm (Saturday – Sunday)
- Closed on Christmas Day
Facilities: picnic tables, gas/electric barbecues (free), flush toilets, drinking water, carpark, trackhead/access point