Do I need a licence for dangerous goods?

Anyone in NSW producing, blending, recovering or using more than 1,000 tonnes of dangerous goods per year needs an environment protection licence.


A licence may also be required to transport dangerous goods. A dangerous goods driver licence and a vehicle licence is generally required for tank vehicles, portable tanks and more than 3,000L in intermediate bulk containers (IBCs). Licences are not required for receptacles such as 200L drums, bottles, cartons, etc., regardless of total quantity.

View all the dangerous goods requirements

Download a dangerous goods licence application


For information about storage of dangerous goods, call Workcover: 131 050.