The State Heritage Register lists items that are significant for NSW and protected under the Heritage Act 1977. An item may be a place, building, work, relic, moveable object or precinct.
Criteria for State heritage significance
The Heritage Council of NSW has developed criteria to help establish if something is of State significance. To be considered for listing, the item must meet at least 2 of the 7 criteria:
- an item is important in the course, or pattern, of NSW’s cultural or natural history
- an item has strong or special association with the life or works of a person, or group of persons, of importance in NSW’s cultural or natural history
- an item is important in demonstrating aesthetic characteristics and/or a high degree of creative or technical achievement in NSW
- an item has strong or special association with a particular community or cultural group in NSW for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
- an item has potential to yield information that will contribute to an understanding of NSW’s cultural or natural history
- an item possesses uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of NSW’s cultural or natural history
- an item is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a class of NSW’s cultural or natural places, or cultural or natural environments.
If the item only meets one criteria, the Heritage Council must consider it to be of such particular significance that it should be listed.
How to nominate an item
Anyone can nominate an item for consideration if it meets the criteria for State heritage significance.
Most places or objects will not meet the criteria for State heritage significance. If the item is significant for the local government area or community, contact the relevant local council about the possibility of a local heritage listing.
Before preparing a nomination, we recommend you:
- read the nomination guidelines
- research the item
- determine if and why it is significant for NSW.
After reading the guidelines and doing some research, if the item appears to meet at least 2 criteria for State heritage significance, complete the State Heritage Register Nomination Form (DOCX 80KB).
Contact us if you have questions about the completing form or the criteria for State heritage significance.