Our work to map and collect information on seabed character and composition is critical for almost every aspect of coastal and marine management. To manage an area we need to know what is there, how it is similar or different to other areas, and what makes it unique.
Our mapping work helps:
- manage coastal erosion and inundation
- manage and protect marine habitats and ecosystems
- better understand marine biodiversity and support marine conservation
- undertake marine research and coastal structural design
- develop models to better understand the distribution of sediments across the seafloor and how they move
- develop and improve models to predict nearshore wave and currents, which supports management of coastal hazards
- manage emergency responses.