The manual imposes mandatory requirements and provides guidance regarding the preparation, adoption, implementation, amendment, review and the contents of a coastal management program (CMP).
The manual provides technical information and guidance to assist councils in addressing the requirements of the Coastal Management Act 2016 (CM Act) and a risk management process for councils to follow when preparing their CMPs.
The manual has two parts:
- Part A: Introduction and mandatory requirements for a coastal management program
- Part B: Guidance for preparing and implementing a coastal management program
- Stage 1: Identify the scope of the CMP
- Stage 2: Determine risks, vulnerabilities and opportunities
- Stage 3: Identify and evaluate options
- Stage 4: Prepare, exhibit, finalise, certify and adopt the CMP
- Stage 5: Implement, monitor, evaluate and report
Coastal management toolkit
The coastal management toolkit contains additional technical information and guidance to help councils prepare and implement CMPs.
The toolkit will be updated as new information becomes available.
If you would like to receive updates as new information is added to the toolkit, please register your interest by emailing: