The IBVD program modernises the way we work with vegetation classification and map data by providing a suite of logically related foundational information products based around a single classification framework and map for the State.
Integrated BioNet Vegetation Data for NSW
NSW Integrated BioNet Vegetation Data (IBVD) provides a digital inventory and map of native vegetation communities across NSW.
Vegetation classification data and maps are brought together to provide a single resource stored in BioNet and discoverable on the SEED portal.
The Integrated BioNet Vegetation Data program is designed to support users undertaking land management activities and biodiversity assessments. BioNet allows vegetation classification and map data to link to other biodiversity information commonly applied in biodiversity assessments, including Threatened Ecological Community and threatened species data.
Integrated BioNet Vegetation Data is an important ongoing program to develop and maintain publicly available high-quality native vegetation classification and map products for New South Wales.
- The Integrated BioNet Vegetation Data program has released the first fully integrated version of the State Vegetation Type Map (SVTM) and Plant Community Type (PCT) classification. The version includes revised Plant Community Types for eastern NSW (coast and tablelands bioregions).
- The Trees Near Me NSW mobile app and website are available for quick and easy access to the State Vegetation Type Map. The Trees Near Me NSW app recently won Gold in the GOV Design Awards 2023.
- The Plot to PCT Assignment Tool is available, making it easier to identify the correct Plant Community Type using standard floristic survey plot data in eastern NSW.
- Integrated BioNet Vegetation Data data are available in BioNet web services which are open, transparent, and available for use in your own application and business systems.
- For information relating to the Biodiversity Offsets Scheme visit Introduction of revised Plant Community Types in eastern NSW to the Biodiversity Offsets Scheme.
What data are included in the IBVD program?
NSW vegetation classification hierarchy
Plant Community Type (PCT) descriptions and data are maintained in the BioNet Vegetation Classification application.
This includes the Vegetation Class and Vegetation Formation in which each Plant Community Type is nested. For more information about the PCT classification program visit the NSW PCT Classification webpage.
A summary list of Plant Community Types is available by clicking ‘download’ on the BioNet Plant Community Type Data page.
State Vegetation Type Map (SVTM)
The State Vegetation Type Map (SVTM) maps individual Plant Community Types, Vegetation Classes and Vegetation Formations. For more information about the SVTM visit the State Vegetation Type Map webpage. Access the State Vegetation Type Map directly from the SEED portal or Trees Near Me NSW.
BioNet flora survey plots
Standard floristic survey plots are maintained in the Flora survey module of the BioNet Atlas application. Plots used in the definition of Plant Community Types in eastern New South Wales provide reference points for Plant Community Types. View Plant Community Type reference plots on the SEED portal.
Threatened species and Threatened Ecological Community (TEC) PCT associations
NSW and nationally listed threatened species, populations and Threatened Ecological Communities (TECs) are expertly associated to Plant Community Types and hence to Vegetation Classes and Vegetation Formations. This provides an indication of potential threatened species habitat or the potential presence of a Threatened Ecological Community Threatened species, threatened populations and Threatened Ecological Community Plant Community Type associations can be downloaded.
Vegetation condition benchmarks
Vegetation condition benchmarks provide a framework for measuring the integrity of vegetation used in the Biodiversity Assessment Method. Benchmark data are maintained in the BioNet Vegetation Classification application.
What tools and applications are linked to Integrated BioNet Vegetation Data?
SEED (Sharing and Enabling Environmental Data)
Trees Near Me NSW
The Trees Near Me NSW app – winner of Gold in the GOV Design Awards 2023.
Trees Near Me NSW delivers map and PCT information in an easy to use mobile app and web site. It allows users to find information on PCTs within areas of 200 metres, 400 metres and 1,000 metres of any location in New South Wales.
Plot to Plant Community Type Assignment Tool
The Plot to PCT Assignment Tool is a Plant Community Type identification tool for eastern NSW. It allows users to upload standard floristic survey plots to obtain a robust comparison to the quantitative Plant Community Type classification. It provides detailed downloadable information about each matched Plant Community Type.