Local councils and their communities are at the forefront of conserving heritage in New South Wales.
The Local Government Heritage Guidelines explain the:
- delegation of certain approval functions of the Heritage Council of NSW to local councils (see Delegations for more information)
- authorisation for local councils to make interim heritage orders.
The Heritage Advisory Services Handbook explains the practical aspects of establishing a heritage advisory service.
NSW Planning portal
The heritage impacts of development applications received by local councils must be assessed to appropriately manage heritage that is protected under the Heritage Act 1977 and National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.
The Department of Planning and Environment has developed the online NSW Planning Portal to facilitate NSW Government agency consultation on development applications for local councils.
We use the NSW Planning Portal to respond to:
- integrated development applications (IDAs)
- development application referrals (DARs)
- modification applications or amendments for IDAs or DARs.