Transfer, vary or surrender an Aboriginal heritage impact permit

How to apply to transfer, vary or surrender an Aboriginal heritage impact permit and what to include in your application.

An Aboriginal heritage impact permit (AHIP) may be transferred to another legal entity. The application can be made by the current AHIP holder or the proposed AHIP holder with the current holder’s consent in writing.

An AHIP variation includes the substitution, omission or amendment of an existing condition, or attaching a new condition. Depending on the nature and breadth of the variation, Aboriginal community consultation may be required.

An AHIP may be surrendered by the AHIP holder. Fees are not refunded when an AHIP is surrendered.

This is the process of application lodgement to outcome.

How to apply

paperclip icon

Gather your essential documents

Gather essential documents in digital format. For more information see Essential documents to provide.

Complete the relevant application form:

Hard copies of documents are not required.

coin icon

Pay the fee

Pay the application fee – payment details are included on the application form.

paper plane icon

Lodge your application

Lodge your application form and the essential documents by email:

You can submit files that exceed email limits using Dropbox. Share the Dropbox link with

Each application is checked for completeness within 14 days.

What happens next

calendar icon

Application assessment

Once accepted as complete, your application is allocated for assessment and the application clock starts. The timeframe is 60 days.

The application is assessed to consider the nature and extent of harm to Aboriginal cultural heritage. Internal specialists may provide input.

You may be contacted to discuss your application, provide additional information, and/or clarify details. The application clock stops until the requested information is received.

An assessment report is then prepared with recommendations for determination.

envelope icon

Application outcome

The Secretary of the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water is the approval body; however, most applications are determined by Heritage NSW as delegate.

You will be informed of the outcome in writing.

Essential documents to provide

Minor administrative variations (duration or temporary storage location) require:

To change the area of land to which the AHIP applies provide:

  • shapefile of the approved AHIP area and proposed variation area
  • map of the approved AHIP area and proposed variation area using Map Grid of Australia zones 54, 55 or 56.

Note: An application to increase the area of land covered by the AHIP is only possible in limited circumstances, where:

  • that land was included in the original Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Assessment Report and consultation process, and
  • there is an approved development consent or equivalent over that land.

To increase harm to Aboriginal objects, in addition to the requirements for Minor administrative variations and To change the area of land, provide:

  • evidence of additional consultation with the registered Aboriginal parties from the original AHIP, and
  • an Aboriginal cultural heritage assessment report, prepared in line with the requirements outlined on our Aboriginal objects and places webpage, that assesses the significance of the Aboriginal objects impacted by the variation and implications of increased harm.

To move objects provide: