Nature conservation

Native animals

Using pesticides for the management of birds

Any person or organisation who is intending to use a prescribed substance to harm any bird in NSW, including introduced species, is required to seek the consent of the Chief Executive, OEH.

A prescribed substance is defined in the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation as any glue, gel and other adhesive or sticky substance, and other substances listed in the poisons list (proclaimed under section 8 of the Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Act 1966).

How to apply for consent

To apply for consent you will need to complete an application form (PDF 61KB) and return it to OEH's Wildlife Licensing Unit. Fees apply.

Persons applying for consent to harm birds under section 110 of the National Parks & Wildlife Act 1974 must be qualified to use pesticides as per the Pesticides Regulation 2009.

Sample licence conditions

Persons granted a permit to use a prescribed substance such as Scatterbird or Alphachloralose to harm birds in NSW will be required to adhere to the conditions of their licence.

Download Scatterbird and Alphachloralose sample licence conditions (PDF 31KB)

More information

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Would you like to tell us more?

Share this

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Page last updated: 15 January 2016