Licences to transport native animals interstate

Find out about import and export licences to transport native animals into or out of New South Wales.

The interstate import and export of native animals is regulated in each state and territory.

In New South Wales, native animals are protected by the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 (BC Act).

When you need a licence

You need an import/export licence granted under the BC Act to transport most native animals across the State's borders.

The import/export licences are generally granted:

When you don't need a licence

You don't need an interstate import/export licence if you intend to import or export:

For all other native animal species, you will need to apply for an import/export licence to authorise movement across state borders.

Get your licence

When you apply for an import/export licence to move native animals interstate you must provide:

Licence cost and duration

A NSW import/export licence costs $30 and is valid for a maximum period of 1 month for one consignment only during this period.

Apply online

Apply online for the automatic granting of a licence concerning class 1 native animal species.

You can apply online for a licence concerning advanced class animal species, but applications are individually assessed before a licence is granted. Allow up to 28 working days for assessment.

A 10% discount (off the standard $30 licence fee) applies to online applications.

Apply by email or post

You can also apply for a licence by downloading, completing and submitting an application for an import/export licence (PDF 115KB).

Allow up to 28 working days for your application to be processed once it is received.

Comply with licence conditions

When you hold a licence to import or export native animals you must comply with the import/export licence conditions (PDF 28KB).

Importing and exporting wildlife internationally

The international import and export of wildlife and wildlife products is regulated by the Australian Government under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, which gives effect to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

If you wish to import or export wildlife and wildlife products internationally, visit the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment for information about wildlife import and export permits.