This program funds the construction of new major recycling and waste processing facilities, to increase the amount of material being recovered, reused, recycled and reprocessed. It complements the Resource Recovery Facility Expansion and Enhancement program, which funds capital works for existing facilities.
The program supports:
- recovery of recyclables from sorted and unsorted waste from business and households
- reuse, recycling and reprocessing of recyclable materials including:
- paper and cardboard
- construction and demolition waste.
(For a full list of materials, see page 1 of the guidelines for applicants (PDF 486KB)
- processing, stabilisation and energy recovery from residual business and household waste.
This program is delivered through a partnership between the NSW Environmental Trust and the Energy, Climate Change and Sustainability Division (ECCS, formerly EPA) of the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment as part of the Waste Less, Recycle More initiative. Additional information can be found on the EPA website.
We offered grants to cover up to 50% of the capital costs of the proposed new resource-recovery infrastructure, up to the following amounts:
- grants of $1–5 million for projects proposed by the private sector and not-for-profit organisations
- grants of $1–10 million for projects proposed by councils, regional group of councils and other local-government-controlled organisations.
A Special Consideration clause was introduced for eligible councils in regional areas of NSW that may not have the capacity to co-contribute 50% of total costs for large infrastructure projects. For councils that qualified under this clause the Trust and ECCS considered funding up to 75% of total project costs.
Who can apply?
The following organisations were eligible to apply:
- not-for-profit or non-government organisations (as defined by the Australian Taxation Office) with an established legal status
- not-for-profit or non-government organisations without a legal status that can be administered by another organisation
- NSW councils (as defined in the Local Government Act 1993
- other organisations controlled by local government or deemed to have a local-government function
- regional organisations of councils
- private industry or a partnership as defined by the Corporations Act 2001 (Cwth).
When can applications be made?
This program is closed.