Landfill Consolidation and Environmental Improvements

This program is for local councils in regional New South Wales.

This program is currently closed.


This $12 million program helps regional councils address potential liabilities posed by landfill activities, reduce environmental risks, and contribute to the long-term protection of the environment. It has 2 streams:

  • landfill consolidation and closure
  • environmental improvement of landfills.

This program is being delivered through a partnership between the NSW Environmental Trust and the NSW Environment Protection Authority as part of the Waste Less, Recycle More initiative.

Funding available

Grants of up to $200,000 were available to cover up to 70% of project costs. The other 30% was covered by council in-kind or financial contributions.

One application could cover a number of landfills, or a separate application submitted for each landfill.

Who can apply?

Grants were made to councils in the Regional Levy Area and non-regulated area of NSW (but not those in Metropolitan Levy areas). Bodies eligible to apply were:

  • NSW councils (as defined in the Local Government Act 1993.
  • Regional waste groups, regional organisations of councils or joint organisations of councils. These bodies could apply and/or coordinate projects on behalf of one or more NSW councils within their regional group, and each council had to nominate a contact person for the project.

When can applications be made?

This program is currently closed.

This program is currently closed to applications. The forms and guidelines below are for information only.

If you are successful in obtaining funding for your project, you will need to provide regular reports on your progress.

Project measures table

A project measures table will be provided to you with your grant agreement. The project measures table will assist with setting the project baseline, creating targets, recording progress and project achievements.

An updated project measures table will need to be submitted with each progress report.

Progress reports and final report

You are required to submit milestone (progress) reports at agreed intervals to outline what your project has achieved and next steps.

Milestone reports are submitted to the Environmental Trust, who will check to ensure that expenditure is as per the agreed budget. The reports will also be reviewed by technical experts who may provide feedback or advice. Once reviewed and accepted the associated payment will be processed.

A final report will be required upon completion of the project, and once checked and approved the final payment will be made.

Please use milestone report form (DOCX 75KB) and final reporting form (DOCX 75KB) for these reports.

Financial reports

You must submit a statement of expenditure with each milestone report. A certified financial report will be required as part of the final report.

Other documents

You may be required to submit other documents or evidence as listed in your grant agreement.

Where to send reports

Please email reports and other documents to (50MB limit).

Acknowledgement requirement

You are required to acknowledge the funding you have received from the Trust in all publications and materials related to your project. Please use the wording below:

This project is supported by the Environmental Trust as part of the NSW Environment Protection Authority's Waste Less, Recycle More initiative funded from the waste levy.

You also need to use the NSW Government logo. See Funding acknowledgement and logos for details.

In 2018 (round 4):

  • stream 1 allocated a total of $2,233,033 to 13 projects
  • stream 2 allocated a total of $1,148,506 to 14 projects.

In 2017 (round 3):

  • stream 1 allocated a total of $1,516,244 to 12 projects
  • stream 2 allocated a total of $323,296 to 3 projects.

In 2015 (round 2):

  • stream 1 allocated a total of $1,457,916 to 10 projects
  • stream 2 allocated a total of $1,539,914 to 16 projects.

In 2014 (round 1):

  • stream 1 allocated a total of $1,889,366 to 14 projects
  • stream 2 allocated a total of $1,942,176 to 20 projects.

Project summaries