Nature conservation

Threatened species

North Rothbury Persoonia - profile

Indicative distribution

   Loading map...
The areas shown in pink and/purple are the sub-regions where the species or community is known or predicted to occur. They may not occur thoughout the sub-region but may be restricted to certain areas. ( click here to see geographic restrictions). The information presented in this map is only indicative and may contain errors and omissions.
Scientific name: Persoonia pauciflora
Conservation status in NSW: Critically Endangered
Commonwealth status: Critically Endangered
Gazetted date: 06 Aug 1999
Profile last updated: 12 Aug 2019


A small spreading shrub, 0.1 - 1.4 m high and 0.4 - 2.0 m wide, with bright green needle-like leaves up to 3.5 mm long and 0.8 mm wide that are moderately hairy while the plant is young. It has small yellow flowers which are borne singly between the leaf and plant stem and which produce fleshy green berries in autumn.


Extremely restricted distribution; all but one of the plants which make up the only known population occur within a 2.5 km radius of the original specimen at North Rothbury in the Cessnock local government area. Within this range, there are three main sub-populations which comprise approximately 90% of the total population. The other 10% of the population occurs as scattered individuals in what is a relatively disturbed landscape.

Habitat and ecology

  • It is found in dry open forest or woodland dominated by Spotted Gum (Corymbia maculata), Broad-leaved Ironbark (Eucalyptus fibrosa) and/or Narrow-leaved Ironbark (E. crebra) and supporting a moderate to sparse shrub layer and grassy groundcover. The majority of the population is known to occur on silty sandstone soils derived from the Farley Formation.
  • Flowers from January through to May. Its breeding system is unknown, but it is likely that native bees are required for pollination. Seedlings are present in most sub-populations which indicates that the population is capable of reproducing under favourable conditions.
  • Its fire ecology is also unknown but, like other smooth-barked Persoonia species, it is probably killed by fire.
  • Disturbance events such as grazing, fire and slashing have impacted on both the size and age structure of the population. Plants are absent from comparable habitat that is grazed and/or frequently burnt or slashed.

Regional distribution and habitat

Click on a region below to view detailed distribution, habitat and vegetation information.


Recovery strategies

Activities to assist this species

Information sources

IBRA Bioregion IBRA Subregion Known or predicted Geographic restrictions region
Sydney BasinHunter Known Within 10 km of North Rothbury