The committee's main functions include:
- assessing the risk of extinction of a species in Australia and deciding which species should be listed as critically endangered, endangered, vulnerable or extinct in NSW
- for species that are not listed as threatened species, deciding if there are populations of those species that should be listed as threatened in NSW
- assessing the risk of extinction of an ecological community in Australia and deciding which ecological communities should be listed as critically endangered, endangered, vulnerable or collapsed ecological communities
- deciding which key threats to native plants and animals should be declared key threatening processes under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 (BC Act)
- reviewing and updating the lists of threatened species, populations and communities and key threatening processes in the schedules of the BC Act.
The NSW Threatened Species Scientific Committee does not make decisions about threatened fish and marine plants. This is the responsibility of the NSW Fisheries Scientific Committee.
- Dr Marco Duretto (Chairperson) - Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust
- Dr Stephen Bell - Ecological Society of Australia
- Dr Veronica Doerr - CSIRO
- Dr Rachael Gallagher - Macquarie University
- Dr Anne Kerle - expertise in agricultural science and natural resource management
- Dr Brad Law - Forest Science Centre, NSW Industry - Lands
- Dr Jodi Rowley - Australian Museum
- Mark Tozer - Office of Environment and Heritage
- Ken Turner - Office of Environment and Heritage
Nominating a species, population, ecological community or key threatening process
The Biodiversity Conservation Act (BC Act) encourages community involvement in the protection of threatened species and ecological communities. Any person or organisation can propose changes to the threatened species or threatened ecological community or key threatening process lists.Find out how to nominate.
The committee can be contacted via the Committee's Executive Officer by mail, email or phone.
NSW Threatened Species Scientific Committee
PO Box 1967
Hurstville BC NSW 1481
Street address: 43 Bridge Street Hurstville NSW 2220
Telephone: (02) 9585 6940
Facs: (02) 9585 6606