Renew a keeper licence
If you hold a Native Animal Keeper Licence (Class 1), you can renew your licence online and receive a 10% discount.
You can only renew online for up to 60 days after your licence has expired. After that, you will need to contact the Wildlife Team to discuss options.
If you have ever previously held an Animal Keeper Licence and have not requested for it to be surrendered, or if you'd like to check on the status of any licences previously held, contact the Wildlife Team.
To renew other native animal or plant licence types, contact the Wildlife Team.
It is your responsibility to renew your licence when it expires, or to surrender it if you no longer want to keep native animals.
Download the Companion Animal Keeper’s Licence Renewal form (PDF 65KB) and return by post or email.
Download the Native Animal Keeper’s Licence Renewal form (PDF 83KB) and return by post or email.
Surrender a keeper licence
If you want to stop keeping native birds, frogs, reptiles or mammals, you must:
- find a new home for your animals
- submit a Licence Not Required form (PDF 68KB) by post or email
- submit your e-book records or post your paper record book to report how you disposed of your animals (e.g. rehomed, died).
Your licence will then be surrendered.
Add or change your licence class
Your licence allows you to keep a certain class of native animal, such as a bird, frog (amphibian), reptile or mammal. If you want to add another class of animal to your collection, you will need to tell us by completing the Change of Licence Class or Contact Details Form (PDF 84KB), so we can change your existing licence.
- changes to licence classes cannot currently be done online
- changing the class of your licence will incur a fee appropriate to any additional class of animal you are keeping
- to keep advanced class species of birds, reptiles or amphibians, please refer to upgrade existing licence.