Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (a shrub) - endangered species listing
NSW Scientific Committee - final determination
The Scientific Committee, established by the Threatened Species Conservation Act, has made a Final Determination to list the shrub Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (NSW 417813) as an ENDANGERED SPECIES in Part 1 of Schedule 1 of the Act. Listing of endangered species is provided for by Part 2 of the Act.
The Scientific Committee has found that:
1.Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (NSW 417813) is an undescribed taxon. In Flora of New South Wales Volume 2 it would key out as Pultenaea glabra Benth. but differs from P. glabra in a number of respects:
- plant 0.2 - 0.5 metres high vs. 1-2 metres.
- inflorescence auxotelic (growing on into a leafy shoot) vs. anauxotelic (terminated in a dormant bud).
- flower-subtending leaves and their bracteoles indistinguishable from other leaves and their bracteoles vs. flower-subtending leaves much smaller than other leaves and with enlarged bracteoles.
- outside surface of calyx sparsely covered in appressed hairs vs. outside surface of calyx glabrous.
- keel petal deep red vs. keel petal yellow to orange.
. glabra grows on swamp margins and swamp banks while Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (NSW 417813) occurs on well drained stony soil near a cliff edge. P. glabra is restricted to the higher Blue Mountains from Hazelbrook and Kings Tableland to Mount Victoria, Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (NSW 417813) is, on present knowledge, restricted to the vicinity of Genowlan Point.
3. Only a small number of plants of Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (NSW 417813) are currently known.
4. The site from which Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (NSW 417 813) is known is restricted in area and is subject to disturbance from recreational use of off road vehicles or other visitor pressures.
5. In light of 3 and 4 above the Scientific Committee is of the opinion that Pultenaea sp. Genowlan Point (NSW 417813) is likely to become extinct in nature in NSW unless the circumstances and factors threatening its survival or evolutionary development cease to operate.
About the NSW Scientific Committee
Proposed gazettal date: 18/9/98
Exhibition Period: 18/9/98 to 23/10/98
Page last updated: 28 February 2011