Teachers' kit - a guide to the rainforests of NSW
This new teacher's kit includes:
- Under the Canopy - a guide to the rainforests of NSW (information booklet)
- student worksheets for stages 1, 2 and 3
- a rainforest model for students to colour and build
- excursion outlines and supporting material (teacher's notes, student fact sheets, student work sheets) for various sites in NSW.
This teacher's kit has been prepared to help you teach about the important values of rainforests in NSW. Students will learn about rainforest types, structure, energy and nutrient cycles and food chains. Further fact sheets cover the importance of rainforests, the human impact upon them and managing for risk.
This unit expands upon the HSIE sample unit 'Global Environments - Rainforests' from the HSIE syllabus support document and encourages local field studies of rainforests.
The teacher's kit was developed by NPWS Discovery for Schools staff in the north coast region to support schools participating in the Discovery for Schools excursion program.
Links to national park rainforest excursion information
Documents to download
- Under the Canopy - a guide to the rainforests of NSW, a 30 page full colour PDF (4.5MB) is available for broadband users to download on the right of this page.
- NSW Rainforest worksheets (PDF 1MB) for stages 1, 2 and 3
Suitable for stage 1:Show details
- Australian rainforests (PDF 420KB)
Suitable for stages 2 - 3:Show details
Suitable for stages 4 - 6:Show details
- Rainforest energy and nutrient cycles (PDF 275KB)
- Why is rainforest important? (PDF 282KB)
- Human impacts on rainforest (PDF 411KB)
- Forest types of Dorrigo National Park (PDF 383KB)
- Managing for risk - rainforests of Dorrigo National Park (PDF 357KB)
Page last updated: 11 July 2011