Saving Our Species Partnership Grants Program

The Saving our Species (SoS) Partnership Grants program is a contestable grants program seeking to achieve long-term outcomes for threatened species in NSW. This program covers three principal funding activities including:

  • Round 1: Site Managed Species (2014-15)
  • Data-deficient Species Research (2015)
  • Round 2: Landscape Managed Species (2015-16)

Funded by the NSW Environmental Trust, the program will encourage partnerships between government, the community, non-government organisations and industry to protect and conserve our most vulnerable plants and animals. Partnerships facilitated by the program will collaboratively implement on-ground actions and monitoring actions consistent with threatened species conservation projects developed by the SoS Program.

Objectives

The objectives of the SoS Partnership Grants program are to:

  • contribute to increasing the number of threatened species, populations and communities secured in the wild in NSW through strategic co-investment
  • encourage the alignment of efforts to manage threatened species and communities across NSW
  • make decisions about the management of threatened species and communities based on best available evidence and evaluation of outcomes.

The SoS Partnership Grants program aligns with the NSW Government's SoS Program and framework which was launched in December 2013. For more information please visit the Saving NSW threatened species webpage.

Grants awarded

A map detailing the location (PDF 455KB) of Rounds 1 and 2 projects awarded has been made available to either be viewed online or downloaded.

Round 2

A total of 25 EOIs were received in Round 2 of the program, with nine invited to submit full applications (business plans). The Trust approved four projects totalling $3,717,688 that target 12 Landscape-managed species and also benefit other co-occurring threatened species that share habitat. A list of successful projects and project summaries is available on the Round 2 SoS Partnership Grants page.

Data-deficient species research

Four applications were received from a list of 11 selected research organisations to conduct research for up to three years to deliver multiple research actions for specific projects targeting Data-deficient management stream species. The Trust approved two projects totalling $204,733 that address 31 priority research actions for 20 data-deficient species. A list of successful projects and project summaries is available on the 2015 data-deficient species research page.

Round 1

A total of 36 EOIs were received in Round 1 of the program, with 13 invited to submit full applications (business plans). The Trust approved five projects totalling $4,196,319 that target 25 site-managed species and also benefit a further 23 co-occurring threatened species that share habitat. A list of successful projects and project summaries is available on the Round 1 SoS Partnership Grants page.

Funding model

This program was specifically designed to encourage relevant and interested stakeholders to join forces to help protect and conserve threatened species. It did this by funding partnerships between government, the community, non-government organisations and corporations. All applications had to be a partnership between multiple stakeholders operating as a coordinated consortium.

All projects will last for a minimum of 10 years. For the first six years the Environmental Trust and the applicant will fund 80% of the total project cost, with the remaining 20% being committed solely by the applicant over the remaining four years (via cash and/or in-kind contributions). This recognises that in most ecological restoration projects, the point of completion (or minimal continued intervention) is usually around 10 years, with approximately 80 per cent of resources needed within the first six years.

Further information on species toolboxes may be found on the SoS database.

Further information

For further information, please contact the Environmental Trust.

Phone: (02) 8837 6093
Email: info@environmentaltrust.nsw.gov.au

Page last updated: 21 July 2016