Environmental educators' networks
Environmental educators' networks provide forums for educators, state and local government, community groups and other organisations, to share resources, ideas and information.
Local networks are often coordinated by local government or Environmental Education Centres. Membership is generally open with schools rotating responsibility for hosting an after school meeting once a term. Guest speakers are invited to attend to present on a particular issue or theme. Members communicate through council websites, newsletters, emails and other social networking forums.
Regional networks in Sydney
- Bankstown - Bankstown Schools Environmental Education Network - welcomes educators in all schools and non-government organisations promoting environmental education in the community.
- Blacktown - Blacktown Green Schools Network - available to all primary and secondary school teachers working at schools in Blacktown City and interested parents who want to get more involved in supporting environmental initiatives at their child's school. Contact David Towns.
- Blue Mountains - Blue Mountains Schools Environment Network.
- Campbelltown and Camden - Macarthur Sustainable Schools Network - for teachers in the Campbelltown and Macarthur School Education groups.
- Canterbury - Teachers' Environment Network - for primary and secondary schools in or near the City of Canterbury area. Visit their website for more information or contact the Environmental Policy Officer.
- City of Canada Bay - City of Canada Bay Sustainability Schools Network - for primary and secondary schools in the City of Canada Bay Council area. Visit their website for more information or phone (02) 99116411.
- City of Sydney - Network of Environmental School Teachers Sydney (NESTS) - for teachers and parents in the City of Sydney and surrounding areas. Contact Glen Halliday.
- Hawkesbury - Hawkesbury Environmental Education Network (HEEN) - for teachers, youth workers and other educators in the Hawkesbury local government area.
- Hills Shire Council area - The Schools Green Network - for all teachers from schools in or near the Hills Shire Council local government area. Meetings generally held on Tuesday in Week 3 of each school term.
- Hornsby - Hornsby Environmental Network (HENS) - for all teachers from schools in or near the Hornsby Shire Council local government area. Meetings generally held on Wednesday in Week 3 of each school term. More information is available from their website.
- Hunters Hill/Lane Cove - Hunters Hill/Lane Cove Green Schools Network - for all teachers from schools in the Hunters Hill and Lane Cove Council local government area.
- Leichhardt - Leichhardt Sustainable Schools Network - for parents and teachers in the Leichhardt area.
- Marrickville - Our Place Environmental Network (OPEN) - for all teachers and educators (including early childhood and day care) in the Marrickville Council area. Contact Anne Abbott or Kate Jackson.
- North Sydney - Sustainability Educators North Sydney (SENS) - for teachers from schools in the North Sydney local government area. More information is available from their website.
- Parramatta - Parramatta Learning Community for Sustainability - for teachers in the Parramatta Diocese, which extends from Rydalmere to Katoomba.
- Parramatta - Parramatta EnviroSchools Network - for primary and secondary teachers, other educators, P&C and interested parents in the Parramatta LGA.
- Pittwater - Pittwater Environmental Educators' Network - for all teachers (DEC, Private and Catholic) in the Pittwater Council area.
- Penrith - Penrith Sustainable Schools Network - an e-network run by Penrith Council.
- Ryde - Ryde Environmental Educators Network (REEN) - for all teachers and educators in the Council area who are interested in Sustainability Education (can include TAFE, child-care and University staff, parents, etc.). Visit the website for more information.
- St George - St George Environmental Education Network.
- Southern Sydney - Southern Sydney Environmental Education Network.
- South-western Sydney - Sustainability and Environmental Educators.
- Waverley, Woollahra and Randwick - Eastern Suburbs Sustainable Schools Network - welcomes teachers, students and parents from three council areas.
- Willoughby - Willoughby Environmental and Sustainability Education Network.
- Wollongong - Wollongong Environment Network (WEN) supporting Wollongong Catholic Diocesan schools across K-12. WEN meets once per term. Visit the website for more details.
Regional networks outside Sydney
- Central Coast - Central Coast Environmental Education Network - for schools, community and agency educators.
- Central West Environmental Educators Network (CWEEN) - for environmental educators, sustainability officers, resource efficiency and renewable energy experts and all those interested in preserving the natural values of central western NSW for future generations. Contact Sue Saxby, Principal Wambangalang Environmental Education Centre (near Dubbo), or Andy McQuie, North-West Community Engagement Team Leader, Office of Environment and Heritage.
- Coffs Harbour - the Green Schools Environmental Sustainability Program includes information about council-funded grants, a sustainable schools network and quarterly newsletter for teachers at pre-schools, child care centres, primary and high schools in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area. Please contact Andrew Davis.
- Illawarra - Environmental Educators' Network - connecting teachers in Wollongong, Kiama and Shellharbour.
- Hunter - contact Amanda Gregory or visit the website ECOEDGE. The Green Access website also provides teachers in the Hunter with a comprehensive list of people to contact for resources, excursions or speakers on environmental and sustainability themes.
- Lake Macquarie - contact Pamela Baker at Lake Macquaire Council
- Lower North Coast - Manning Environmental Education Group (MEEG) aims to encourage all members of the community to raise their level of awareness about the environment. Contact Kirsty Hughes.
- Northern Rivers - contact Christine Freeman, Principal, Dorroughby Environmental Education Centre. For schools from Grafton to the Queensland border, contact the Northern Rivers Group of the Environmental Educators.
- Mid Rivers (NSW North Coast - covers the coastal region between Grafton and Port Macquarie) - the Mid Rivers Group of Environmental Educators (MRGEE) is largely composed of environmental educators, local government educators and teachers. Contact John McQueen at the Cascade Environment Education Centre.
- Northern Tablelands and North-West - Contact Matt McKenzie from the Thalgarrah Environmental Education Centre, Armidale.
- South-East NSW - South East Resource Recovery Group (SERRG) – If you are a teacher in the south-east of NSW covered by the SEROC (South East Regional Organisation of Councils) and are interested in collaborating with Councils on sustainability and waste education projects, contact Doug Reckord or visit the SERRG website.
- Southern Tablelands - Wingecarribee/Wollondilly group of Sustainability and Environmental Educators (SEED). Contact Peter Nicoll Principal, Wooglemai Environmental Education Centre or Joe Stammers, Environmental Projects Officer, Wingecarribee Shire Council.
- Riverina - Environmental Educators Network.
- The Australian Association for Environmental Education is a national professional body with a NSW chapter. Its vision is to “connect through education to advance understandings and action in relation to environmental and sustainability issues across all communities and education sectors”.
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 22 September 2016