Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project
The Chief Executive of the Office of Environment and Heritage proposes to amend the NSW Threatened Species Priorities Action Statement (PAS).
A Saving our Species conservation project for the koala is now in draft (Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project). The draft project includes a list of actions that are proposed as amendments to the existing Priorities Action Statement (PAS) for the koala (Phascolarctos cinereus) (PDF 159KB).
More information is provided in the draft Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project brochure (PDF 4.7MB).
How can I comment on the draft project?
Public exhibition for the Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project is from 4 December 2016 to 11:59pm 3 March 2017. You are invited to comment on the Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project by sending a written submission during this time.
While all submissions count, they are most effective when we understand your ideas and the outcomes you want for koala conservation. Below are some suggestions to help you write your submission:
- Write clearly and be specific about the issues that are of concern to you.
- Note which part or section of the Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project to which your comments relate.
- Give reasoning in support of your points - this helps avoid misinterpretation and makes it easier for us consider your ideas.
- If you agree or support a particular part or idea in the Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project, please tell us.
- If you disagree, please tell us specifically what you disagree with and why you disagree.
- It is very helpful to suggest solutions or alternatives to managing the issue if you can.
You can provide your written submission using one of the methods shown below.
Submit your comments online using the form below.
Email your comments to:
Post your submission to:
Amendment to the Priorities Action Statement
Office of Environment and Heritage
PO Box A290
Sydney South NSW 1232
The NSW Government is also conducting a process of community engagement to help in developing a NSW Koala Strategy. The government is inviting your comments on what should be included in a whole-of-government NSW koala strategy to help ensure koalas will continue to live and thrive in NSW.
Community information sessions
If you would like to ask questions to find out more about the draft Saving Our Species Iconic Koala Project and the Koala Strategy development process, come along to one of the following community information sessions:
- Lismore 4:30-7pm Tuesday 7 February 2017
- Coffs Harbour 4:30-7pm Wednesday 8 February 2017
- Port Macquarie 4:30-7pm Thursday 9 February 2017
- Port Stephens 4:30-7pm Monday 13 February 2017
- Bega Tuesday 4:30-7pm 14 February 2017
- Gunnedah Thursday 4:30-7pm 16 February 2017
- Campbelltown Monday 4:30-7pm 20 February 2017
Register for a session
Online community information session
In addition to the regional community information sessions, an online information session will be held on Thursday 2 February, 12:00-1:15pm. This webinar is an opportunity to find out how you can contribute to the development of the NSW Koala Strategy.The Saving our Species Iconic Koala Project will also be discussed. All are welcome to register for the webinar.
Register for the online public information session
See Adopted PAS amendments for previously exhibited amendments which have been adopted by the Chief Executive.
. You can request access
of your personal information.
Page last updated: 24 January 2017