Getting an animal keeper's licence to keep frogs

If you wish to keep frogs or tadpoles, you must get a licence from the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH). The amphibian licensing and record-keeping system allows OEH to monitor which amphibian species are being kept, bred and traded amongst enthusiasts.

People who hold a licence may obtain frogs and tadpoles from other people who legally hold them, but they are not allowed to be sold through pet shops and must not be taken from the wild. There are two classes of amphibian keeper licences:

Class 1 licence

A Class 1 licence allows you to look after 45 species of frog, including common species that are easy to care for. A person with a basic knowledge of the needs of the animals should have no problems meeting their needs.

Some of the frogs which can be kept under a Class 1 licence are:

  • green tree frog
  • red-eyed tree frog
  • dainty tree frog
  • white-lipped tree frog
  • peron's tree frog
  • striped marsh frog
  • common froglet.

An applicant must be over 16 years of age to apply for a Native Animal Keepers’ Licence. If you are under 16 years of age and interested in keeping native animals as pets, the licence application must be in the name of your legal parent or guardian.

Class 2 licence

A Class 2 licence is for 29 frog species that are rare or more difficult to keep than species that can be kept under a Class 1 licence. These licences are available to people who are over 18 years of age and have had at least two years' experience in caring for Class 1 frogs.


Apply for a native animal keeper licence.

See the NSW Native Animal Keepers' Species List (PDF 956KB) to find out which native frogs you can keep as a pet.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Would you like to tell us more?

Share this

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Page last updated: 20 May 2016