Landholder licences to harm native animals on private property

If protected native animals are shown to be a threat to human safety, damaging property and/or causing economic hardship the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) may issue a Landholder’s licence, a class of biodiversity conservation licence under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016, to the owner or occupier of a property, or another person authorised under the Landholder’s licence, to harm the protected native animals responsible. Note: landholder’s licences were previously called occupier’s licences.

How to apply

  1. Download the application form for a Landholder's licence (PDF 619KB)

  2. Contact your local your local NPWS office.
  3. Please call your local NPWS office before lodging an application to discuss the nature and severity of the issue and any non-lethal measures that may reduce or solve the problem.

  4. Complete the application form.

  5. Lodge the application with your local NPWS office.

More information


Contact the Wildlife Team

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Would you like to tell us more?

Share this

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Page last updated: 03 January 2018