Native Animal Keeper Fauna Record Book

All licensed native animal keepers are required to maintain a fauna record book and lodge it with the Wildlife Licensing Team each year.

The e-book is the fastest and most efficient way to do this, but it can alternatively be done in a paper book by licence holders who do not have access to a computer.

Electronic fauna record book (e-book)

The e-book is an easy to use web-based record book. It provides licensees with a fast and efficient way of managing animal holdings and transactions. By using the e-book to maintain and lodge fauna records, license holders can save on postage and handling costs.

Trouble logging in to the system?  

Only persons who hold a current Animal Keeper's Licence can register on online account. Please check your details, especially your email address, are the same as those originally provided to the Wildlife Licensing Team and try again.

If you are a new licensee your details may not yet be in the system. Contact the Wildlife Licensing Team and provide your date of birth, AKL number and confirm your preferred email address. Once verified, you should be able to register an account within two working days.

If you have forgotten your password, go to the login page and click 'forgot my password'. The system will email you a new password.

First time users

How do I register?

When you apply for your Animal Keeper's Licence, if you provide your email address and agree to use e-book, you will be automatically registered within 30 days of your licence being issued. When you are registered, you will receive an email with a temporary password and instructions on how to login to your e-book account.

How do I use it?

Simple instructions on how to use the system are usually provided at the top of each screen. Further help is provided in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) tab in e-book. Once registered, you will no longer need to maintain a paper fauna record book.

I have just changed from lodging by paper to lodging by e-book. How do I get started?

If you have previously lodged your animal records using a paper Animal Keepers’ Record Book, when you log into the e-book you will not see these records. These are currently kept in another system.

Please contact the Wildlife Licensing Team for advice on how to start your e-book record-keeping.

What do I have to do in e-book?

You need to keep your species records up-to-date in the My Species and Records tab. This includes records of:

  • all native animals you hold
  • details of how you acquire and dispose of them
  • any breeding events
  • any deaths or escapes

Every April, you must lodge your records for the previous 12 months (April to March) in the My Lodgements tab.

More instructions are provided in the FAQ tab of e-book.

Your privacy

The important things to know about the e-book are that you are in control of managing all the personal information, contact details and fauna holdings relevant to your licence. Only you and the Wildlife Licensing and Management Unit can view your personal information, contact details and fauna holdings.

Paper fauna record book

Paper fauna record books are available to anyone without computer access. Contact the contact the Wildlife Licensing Team to obtain one.

Maintaining and lodging records

Records must be lodged with the Wildlife Licensing Team in April each year. Lodgements cannot be accepted electronically before 1 April. Late lodgements (after 30 April) may result in a penalty.

Keeping records up to date

Licensees are advised to maintain records of animal holdings and transactions throughout the year, not just at the end of the reporting period. It is a condition of your licence to keep a true and accurate record of your holdings. Regularly maintaining your books will also allow you to better manage your hobby.

Why do I have to lodge my fauna records?

It is a condition of your licence to keep a true and accurate record of your holdings and to lodge it with the Wildlife Licensing Team each year.

This lets OEH understand the size and scale of the native-animal-keeping hobby and to monitor licensees’ activities to ensure conservation objectives are met.

Failing to keep accurate records is an offence under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.

Do I still need to lodge even if I have not got any animals or changed my holdings since last year?

Declaring your records is a condition of your licence, even if you have no animals or there has been no change to your holdings.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Would you like to tell us more?

Share this

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Page last updated: 02 April 2015