Nature conservation

Native animals

Licences for scientific, educational and conservation purposes

You may require a scientific licence, a type of biodiversity conservation licence under Part 2 of the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016, if you wish to undertake an activity or project for research, education or conservation purposes that is likely to result in one or more of the following:

  • harm to any protected native animals, or to an animal that is a threatened species or is part of an endangered population or an endangered ecological community; protected native animals does not include invertebrates (except threatened species), or fish as defined under the Fisheries Management Act 1994
  • picking any protected plants, or any plant that is a threatened species or is part of an endangered population or an endangered ecological community; you will need a licence if you plan to collect voucher specimens for identification purposes, pick cuttings or whole plants, or collect seed
  • damage to an area of outstanding biodiversity conservation value
  • damage to a habitat of a threatened species or an endangered ecological community
  • research conducted anywhere in the National Parks and Wildlife (NPWS) reserve system.

Scientific Licensing Policy

The scientific licensing policy (PDF, 208KB):

  • establishes the principles under which this licensing program is regulated
  • states the criteria under which scientific licences are assessed and explains ways in which scientific, conservation and education actions are regulated
  • details how research in NPWS reserves will be regulated, including liaison with NPWS staff
  • identifies which actions may be exempt from requiring a scientific licence
  • articulates the role and interaction of scientific licensing with animal welfare assessment
  • provides a framework for the administration of the program including management of the application process, consultation with the applicant and other relevant stakeholders including OEH business units, and reporting requirements.

Applying for a scientific licence

Information about applying for a scientific licence is provided in the scientific licensing FAQs.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Would you like to tell us more?

Share this

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Page last updated: 28 August 2017