Wooli Wooli River
|Catchment area (km2)1||180.0|
|Estuary area (km2)1,2||3.7|
|Estuary volume (ML)3||2611.0|
|Average depth (m)4||0.8|
|Roy et al. (2001) classification5||III/5/D|
- Derived from DECCW (2010) NSW estuaries and coastal catchments spatial database.
- Includes area mapped as open water (see note 1), mangrove and saltmarsh areas (Creese R. G., Glasby T. M., West G. and Gallen C. (2009) Mapping the habitats of NSW estuaries. Industry & Investment NSW Fisheries Final Report Series 113. Port Stephens, NSW, Australia.
- Based on areas at 0.6 m AHD (Roper T., Creese B., Scanes P., Stephens K., Williams R., Dela-Cruz J., Coade G. and Coates B. (2011) Assessing the condition of estuaries and coastal lake ecosystems in NSW. Office of Environment and Heritage, Sydney).
- Estimated by dividing the total volume at 0.6 m AHD by the total surface area of the estuary including mangrove areas but excluding saltmarsh (Roper et al., 2011)
- Estuary group: I = oceanic embayment, II = tide dominated estuary, III = wave dominated estuary, IV = intermittently closed estuary V = freshwater bodies
Estuary type: 1 = ocean embayments, 3 = drowned valley estuary, 5 = barrier estuary, 6 = barrier lagoon, 7 = interbarrier estuary, 8 = saline coastal lagoon, 9 = small coastal creeks, 11 = brackish barrier lake. Evolution stage: A=youthful, B=intermediate, C=semi-mature, D=mature.
(P. S. Roy, R. J. Williams, A. R. Jones, I. Yassini, P. J. Gibbs, B. Coates, R. J. West, P. R. Scanes, J. P. Hudson and S. Nichol (2001) Structure and Function of South-east Australian Estuaries. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 53, 351-384)
- Entrance conditions: O = open, T = trained, I = intermittent.
The volume of water moving
past a fixed cross section during each flood tide or ebb tide (i.e.
slack water to slack water), is referred to as the tidal prism of an
The following table shows
the measured tidal prism at the location specified, along with the
tidal range for near the measurement site and at Sydney Harbour.
Location: 1.3km upstream from the entrance on 20/2/03
tidal range (m)
tidal range (m)
|Flood flow ||1.69||1.44||1.5|
Tidal surveys measure the hydrodynamic behaviour of an estuary during a full tidal cycle. The parameters measured include velocity, water levels, salinity, temperature and pH.
The following tidal surveys have been undertaken on this estuary. A map shows the location and plots of the flows and water levels for the most comprehensive survey.
Copies of tidal survey reports are available from the Estuary Management Program.
|Mar 1974||Collection of bed sediment samples and selection of cross sections for bed profiling.||-||MHL333|
|Apr 1974||Establishment of one tideboard and recording soundings.||-||MHL333|
|May 1974||Recording soundings.||-||MHL333|
|Jul 1974||Recording soundings.||-||MHL333|
|Aug 1974||Recording soundings.||-||MHL333|
|Sep 1974||Recording soundings.||-||MHL333|
|Feb 2003||Extensive data collection: water levels at nine sites, velocities at four sites and water quality profiles at thirteen sites.||1988-09.pdf||MHL1232|
The hydrographic survey provides the depth and physical characteristics of the estuary.
The metadata associated with the survey can be found on the map sheets provided.
|Map sheet number ||Description||Scale ||Size|
|54762s01.pdf||Index plan & cross section locations||1:10000||696.5kb |
|54762s02.pdf||Tidal planes, legend & notes||1:15000||744.0kb |
|54762s03.pdf||Offshore of entrance||1:1000||259.5kb |
|54762s04.pdf||Wooli Wooli River entrance||1:1000||444.0kb |
|54762s05.pdf||Wooli Wooli River entrance||1:1000||266.1kb |
|54762s06.pdf||Wooli Wooli River lower estuary||1:1000||268.9kb |
|54762s07.pdf||Wooli Wooli River mid estuary||1:1000||288.1kb |
|54762s08.pdf||Wooli Wooli River mid estuary||1:1000||388.3kb |
|54762s09.pdf||Wooli Wooli River upper estuary||1:1000||384.0kb |
|54762s10.pdf||Cross sections - Wooli Wooli River||1:1000 H 1:200 V||186.7kb |
|54762s11.pdf||Cross sections - Bookram Creek||1:1000 H 1:200 V||215.9kb |
|54762s12.pdf||Cross sections - Wander Creek, Musicians Creek, Corkscrew Creek, Woodduck Creek & Unnamed Creek||1:1000 H 1:200 V||237.0kb |
|54762s13.pdf||Cross sections - Barcoongere River||1:1000 H 1:200 V||182.0kb |
|54762.txt||Bathymetry xyz data||N/A||383.1kb |
|54762_sections.txt||Cross sections xyz data||N/A||53.7kb |
Page last updated: 27 April 2012