Moruya | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Maritime heritage

Moruya

History | Database | Links | Print

History

The town of Moruya is sited upstream on the Moruya River, that opens to the sea at Moruya Heads.  Situated between the major centers of Batemans Bay and Narooma, it was always a minor coastal waterway.  Work on the river training walls was concentrated in 1907, following extensive siltation of the river opening.  The dredge Antleon was based there during the 1920's, when in 1924, the steamer Benandra was wrecked at the entrance. Work on the break walls was completed in 1925 when huge storms required some repairs to the training walls. 

The port gained greater significance in 1924 when a stone quarry was opened and used to supply granite for the pylons of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and the stone for the Cenotaph in Martine Place.  The Public Works Department built a wharf adjacent to the quarry fore ease of use.  Extensions to the southern training walls were undertaken between 1931 and 1933, with major additional works from 1946-1954.

photo: Wreck of barge near historic quarry.
Wreck of barge near historic quarry.

Database

Site information

Site ID: 2048
Type: Construction:
Primary industry: Sub-industry:
Gross tonnage: Net tonnage:
Length (mtrs): Beam (mtrs):
Draft (mtrs): Cargo:
Engine:
Country built: State built:
Port built: builder:
Port registered: When built:
Registration number: Official number:
Sources:
Comments:

Lost event

When lost: Where lost:
Wrecked/Refloated: Sinking:
From port: To port:
Master: Owner:
Crew: Passengers:
Crew deaths: Passenger deaths:
Total deaths:

Location

Maximum latitude: -35.9098 Minimum latitude:
Maximum longitude: 150.155 Minimum longitude:
Datum used:
  Datum    Latitude    Longitude    Zone    Easting    Northing
AGD66
AGD84
GDA94
WGS84

Management

Found: Inspected:
Protected: Jurisdiction:
Protection notes:
Signage: Web address: