The project was developed by experts who identified the minimum number of necessary management sites and conservation actions required to conserve the species.
Six sites have been identified in NSW. They are:
- Goonoo in Dubbo, Gilgandra, Warrumbungle and Wellington local government areas (LGAs)
- Nymagee in Bogan and Cobar LGAs
- Central Mallee in Carrathool and Cobar LGAs
- Scotia–Tarawi in Unincorporated Far West Region and Wentworth LGAs
- North Yalgogrin in the Bland LGA
- Mallee Cliffs in Balranald and Wentworth LGAs.
Photo: Malleefowl (Leipoa ocellata) / M Irvin