Further information sources - Protecting our Places

The following resources may also be helpful in preparing an application for a Protecting our Places project:



Information fact sheets

Site Protection (9 sheets) and Sustainable Land Use (9 sheets)
Working to Protect Aboriginal Culture and Heritage
Aboriginal Land Management Information Guides
1)    A Guide for Aboriginal Land holders
2)    A Guide for Aboriginal People and Public Land
3)    A guide for Landholders

Bush regeneration projects

The Environmental Trust funds many projects which rehabilitate degraded bushland. To ensure the best environmental outcomes, projects should adhere to these general principles:

  • Ensure the capacity of the grantee group (including any contractors) is adequate to undertake the scale of works proposed. Only plan to carry out primary work on areas that will receive adequate follow-up as part of the same project.
  • Allow sufficient time for natural regeneration from the existing seed bank where possible. Seed collection, propagation and planting should not be undertaken as a matter of course. If you plan to undertake revegetation, you must justify the need to plant rather than allowing natural regeneration to occur (see below).
  • Comply with any relevant sections of existing regional/local plans of management, environmental studies or assessments.
  • Establish appropriate methods for monitoring the success/progress of a project from the outset. This includes capture of adequate baseline information. Refer to the Environmental Trust’s Guide for Monitoring Ecological Restoration Project.
  • Determine a strategy to ensure long-term maintenance of the site(s) subsequent to the funding.

Expectations for bush regeneration teams

Bush regeneration contractors and their teams must possess suitable qualifications, licenses and experience in line with industry standards as part of their appointment to any Trust funded project. As a general guide, bush regeneration team supervisors would be expected to be qualified at a Certificate III or higher level in Conservation and Land Management (CALM). Regenerators should be qualified at a Certificate II or higher level and trainees should at least be enrolled in Certificate II. All regenerators are trained in First Aid and Chemical Application (AQIS III) as part of Certificate II and licenses must be updated through a refresher course every three years.

Contractors should be sought from within your local area and transportation costs are generally included in the agreed hourly rate. The current industry standard rate for bush regeneration is $35-$50 per hour (including on-costs). Some projects will present exceptional circumstances where additional travel costs, materials or specific skills (e.g. rope work) are required. Sufficient detail must be included in the application budget when requesting funding for such items.

Expectations for revegetation

As previously outlined, it is preferable that you allow sufficient time for natural regeneration from the existing seed bank where possible. However if you can justify the need to revegetate you should adhere to the following principles:

  • ensure appropriate sourcing of plants and/or seed stock to maintain genetic diversity
  • plant at an adequate spacing and diversity to match that of the reference community
  • allow for approximately 80 plants per 7 hour day to be planted by a qualified regenerator (this includes preparation time, planting and watering)
  • estimate $3 per tube-stock (including stakes and sleeve) if purchasing from a native nursery
  • if planting in riparian areas, consider use of long-stem plantings.

Projects involving Threatened species / endangered ecological communities

A number of applications focus on threatened species/endangered ecological community issues. If your grant application is to rehabilitate or restore habitats relating to either or both issues, you will need a licence from the OEH. All projects that have a threatened species component should be discussed with the relevant threatened species staff at OEH prior to being submitted.

Note: Some licence applications can take considerable time to process. You should discuss potential timeframes with the OEH officer. Confirmation of your discussions including the name of the officer you consulted with will be required in your application.
OEH is revitalising threatened species management through a new program, 'Saving our Species (SOS)'. You will be able to use SOS to identify the type of management required for every threatened species in NSW. For further information please contact the OEH Environment Line 131 555 or visit the OEH Saving our Species website.


Applicants can contact the following organisations

The NSW Aboriginal Land Council (NSWALC) can give you information about the land your project is on and on how to develop your project in conjunction with local Aboriginal communities and organisations. Visit the NSW Aboriginal Land Council website  for details of local Aboriginal land councils in your area or phone (02) 9689 4444.

Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) Aboriginal Cultural Heritage and Conservation Officers (AHCO) are located at regional and area offices. Visit the website to find your nearest office or phone the OEH Environment Line on 131 555.

Local Land Services (LLSs) are a particularly useful source of information regarding natural resource management priorities. Each LLS has staff specifically designated to assist the community and local government in obtaining funds and linking with broader regional programs. LLS region mapping and contact details are available on their website.

Your local council should be able to provide you with information about its local environmental plans as well as successful environmental projects in your district.

The Australian Association of Bush Regenerators  also provide useful information relating to the field of bush regeneration.
Greening Australia has a number of guides on such projects as riparian rehabilitation and collection and treatment of native seed, phone 1300 886 589.

Landcare  for information on local landcare groups and links to other websites that provide information to assist with restoration and rehabilitation.

An issue you may need to consider is whether the location of your proposed project is affected by native title. Information on this issue is available from NSW Native Title Services on 1800 111 844 or the National Native Title Tribunal on 1800 640 501.

Educational inclusive projects

If your project involves education you may wish to contact the following organisations for help in developing your project, particularly with reference to reaching your target audience, contributing to a wider educational project for Aboriginal communities' state-wide, correct use of indigenous language and documenting oral history.

Aboriginal Educational Consultative Group (AECG) visit the website  or phone (02) 9550 5666 for regional or local office contact details.

Federation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Languages (FATSIL) provides help in the development of community-based educational programs via print, video and CD. Your local FATSIL Language Centre provides an information and resource base for community language programs including the NSW Indigenous Languages Directory. Visit the website  or phone (03) 9602 4700.

NSW Aboriginal Heritage Council offers information on 'Interpretation Projects' that have been undertaken throughout the State under their Heritage Funding program and can advise you on how to register and protect heritage items. Visit the website  or phone (02) 9873 8500.

Page last updated: 29 June 2017