What can I do about noise from a lawn mower, leaf blower or other power tool?

Noise from power tools or pool pumps on a residential premises that can be heard in any habitable rooms of a neighbouring residence must cease during certain times: before 8am or after 8pm on any Sunday or public holiday, or before 7am or after 8pm on any other day.

An offence occurs if the noise continues after a warning has been given by a council or police officer.

Equipment covered

The equipment covered includes:

  • powered garden tools (petrol engine or electric motor)
    • lawn mower or lawn trimmer
    • leaf blower or sweeper
    • garden mulcher, chipper or shredder
    • edge-cutter
    • chainsaw
  • electric powered tools (including battery operated tools)
    • circular saw
    • electric drills and screw drivers
  • gas or air compressor and pneumatic tools
  • swimming pool pump
  • spa pump

Dealing with noise

The brochure ‘Dealing with neighbourhood noise' outlines the steps you can take to prevent noise issues.

Talk to your neighbour

Try to solve the problem amicably by talking to the person who is using the noisy tool. They may not realise it is creating a nuisance or is too loud.


If the problem persists, contact a Community Justice Centre (CJC). These centres specialise in settling differences between neighbours. They can arrange mediation between yourself, the person responsible for the noise issue and a CJC representative to help solve the problem. This process is free and has a high success rate.

Contact the local police or council

If mediation is unsuccessful and the noise problem persists, contact your local council. They can investigate your complaint and issue a nuisance order.

View list of NSW councils

Contact the local police station
By phone: 131 444

Seek a noise abatement order

If you want to take action independently of the council, you can seek a noise abatement order from the local court. There are fees for applying for a noise abatement order.

Local court directory

Information about seeking noise abatement orders

Noise control legislation

The Protection of the Environment (Noise Control) Regulation 2008 covers neighbourhood noise laws.