The Science, Economics and Insights (SEI) Division provides integrated and practical environmental science and economics to inform environmental policy and programs across the broader Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water (DCCEEW) and the NSW Government environment portfolio.
We conduct research and ongoing monitoring to provide evidence, expertise and thought leadership to inform decisions and shape policy development and delivery – now and for our future.
Our work is published in scientific journals, books, conference proceedings, reports, datasets, fact sheets and brochures across science, economic and social research.
Our expertise enables us to:
- work with key stakeholders to identify and understand priority problems
- collaborate with end users to develop scientifically rigorous products that inform decision making
- help government make challenging decisions and take action
- provide thought leadership to shape and guide policy development and delivery.
Strategic Plan 2023–26
The Science, Economics and Insights Strategic Plan 2023–26 sets our priorities for the next 3 years. It also:
- outlines the SEI Division’s purpose, vision and objectives
- overviews the support and mechanisms we will use to achieve our priorities
- highlights SEI Division’s key capabilities.
Scientific rigour and process
The 2021 Scientific Rigour Position Statement (PDF 208KB) ensures that all science undertaken or commissioned by us meets globally accepted standards of scientific rigour.
We are committed to scientific rigour. Our process ensures that our science and research supports our decision making with robust evidence and is:
- well designed
Our Adaptive Management Position Statement describes the process we follow to implement management while learning which management actions are most effective at achieving specific goals.
DCCEEW leads and participates in many scientific advisory committees to build and share our collective knowledge and inform our policy and programs.