The strategy was developed following several rounds of consultation with key internal and external stakeholders.
The strategy provides a clear statement and framework for the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) to manage bushfires in national parks and reserves and outlines priorities to be addressed over the next ten years, including research priorities. It is consistent with:
- NSW 2021 (Goal 28)
- the National Bushfire Management Policy Statement for Forests and Rangelands.
The strategy contains:
- fire management principles
- the vision for NPWS to manage fires to conserve biodiversity and cultural heritage, and work with other fire authorities to protect life and property
- information on the context, future challenges and risks of, and trends for, managing fire in NSW parks and reserves
- key strategies, actions and deliverables with key performance indicators to measure agency performance.
Read the Living with Fire in NSW National Parks Executive Summary