A review of environmental factors (REF) documents the environmental impacts proposed activities may have on land reserved under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974, as well as measures required to mitigate adverse impacts to the environment.
This REF assessed activities that will enable the reintroduction of 10 locally extinct mammal species into Mallee Cliffs National Park:
- greater bilby (Macrotis lagotis)
- western barred bandicoot (Perameles bougainville)
- western quoll (Dasyurus geoffroii)
- burrowing bettong (Bettongia penicillate)
- brush-tailed bettong (Bettongia penicillate)
- bridled nailtail wallaby (Onychogalea fraenata)
- greater stick-nest rat (Leporillus conditor)
- mitchells hopping mouse (Notomys mitchellii)
- numbat (Myrmecobius fasciatus)
- red-tailed phascogale (Phascogale calura).
OEH has engaged the Australian Wildlife Conservancy and the University of NSW to reintroduce locally extinct mammal species into 3 conservation reserves in New South Wales. For further information on the project go to reintroducing locally extinct mammals.
- Appendix 1 – Experience and qualifications of personnel involved in the preparation of this REF (PDF 177KB)
- Appendix 2 – Protected matters search tool (PDF 2.6MB)
- Appendix 3 – Details of proposed fence design and infrastructure at operations base (PDF 13.5MB)
- Appendix 4 – Fauna species recorded during AWC surveys (PDF 234KB)
- Appendix 5 – Threatened and migratory biota evaluation (PDF 269KB)
- Appendix 6 – Assessment of significance (Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 and Fisheries Management Act 1994) (PDF 780KB)
- Appendix 7 – Assessment of significance (Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999) (PDF 496KB)
- Appendix 8 – Australian heritage places inventory search (PDF 300KB)
- Appendix 9 – NSW heritage office database search (PDF 438KB)
- Appendix 10 – Aboriginal archaeological report (PDF 6MB)
- Appendix 11 – Hollow-bearing tree removal guidelines (PDF 172KB)
- Appendix 12 – Ecological health monitoring framework (PDF 3.6MB)
- Appendix 13 – Plant communities in Mallee Cliffs National Park (PDF 459KB)
More information about Mallee Cliffs National Park can be viewed on the NPWS Mallee Cliffs National Park page.
The Mallee Cliffs National Park Plan of Management has been recently updated to allow for the reintroduction of locally extinct mammals.